Having enough vitamins in your diet is important, of course, but it is possible to overdose on Vitamin D. Side effects of getting too much Vitamin D are the result of a build up to toxic levels in the body over a period of time. While many of these Vitamin D side effects are simply irritating, some are truly dangerous. Vitamin D deficiency is far more common than Vitamin D overdose. In fact, according to the New England Journal of Medicine, Vitamin D toxicity is rare. In our modern society, we’re prone to spend too much time indoors, opting for the couch or the gym instead of getting outside into the sunshine, where Vitamin D naturally comes from. To get the facts, read on.
While extreme doses of Vitamin D supplements can be harmful, Vitamin D overdose is not caused by sunlight exposure. Your body synthesizes Vitamin D from sun exposure, which is regulated by a negative feedback loop to prevent toxicity. Within about 20 minutes of sun exposure (more or less, depending on skin tone), the skin reaches a Vitamin D saturation point and stops the synthesis process.
Still, there are those few folks who get a little too happy with their supplements, including Vitamin D. Side effects may accrue over time and include a wide range of symptoms, ranging from itching and sleeplessness to kidney failure.
What Causes Vitamin D Overdose?
Vitamin D overdose happens most often when Ashwagandha Gummies reviews someone gets plenty of sun exposure, enjoys foods that contain high amounts of Vitamin D, and exceeds the recommended dosage with Vitamin D supplements. If you’re taking a quality multivitamin and getting enough sunshine, you may not need to take additional vitamins at all. Doubling up on supplements of any kind may lead to problems, particularly with vitamins that are stored in the body. In healthy adults, taking more than 40,000 IU of Vitamin D can cause toxicity after several months.
Vitamin D is one of the fat-soluble vitamins, along with Vitamin A, E and K. This means it will dissolve in fat but not water. Once your body absorbs Vitamin D, it stores it in your liver and your fatty tissues. Fat-soluble vitamins can be stored in your body for up to six months.
Although there’s no established threshold for Vitamin D overdose, the upper intake level is generally agreed to be about 4,000 IU per day for most people, from pre-teens to adults. If you’re taking liquid Vitamin D supplements, be sure the dropper is clearly marked so you can get the proper dosage and avoid unwanted Vitamin D side effects.
Vitamin D overdose causes something called hypercalcemia, or too much calcium in the blood. If hypercalcemia is not treated, it results in excess deposits of calcium in soft tissues and organs such as the kidneys, li